As an integral part of the history of Figeac and the area, the château has a long history in the region.
The most ancient remnant of the château is the vestige of a Roman arch, located on the ground floor. What kind of structure it was, and its size are unknown. Various documents mention the history of the hamlet of St. Dau, from which the château takes its name. The origins of the name are purported to be dedicated to Saint Denis.
Initial construction, based on structural elements dates to the beginning of the 16th century. The first, documented names associated with the château were Catherine de Cayron, who married Francois du Boisset de la Salle and inherited the château in the early 17th century. It is in 1631, while Catherine de Cayron and Francois du Boisset de la Salle are living here that there is a reference to the chapel, but aside from that reference, there’s no record of when the chapel was built.
The château changed hands a number of times between 1636 and 1749, when it was purchased by Francois Guary. It stayed in the Guary family until 2003. There were significant renovations and restorations done in 1871 by Eugene Guary, and again around 1910 by his descendent, Gabriel Guary. After World War I, the château’s east side was extended and the entrances changed. The interior work was interrupted in 1922 when Gabriel Guary died, and were never finished.
In 1925 the château was granted listed status.
A hydro-electrical turbine was installed in 1928, which functioned until 1968-1969, at which time the electrical system was upgraded, and the hydro-electrical turbine was de-commisioned.
The grange annex (built in 1802), which sits behind the château was transformed into a discotheque and restaurant by Jean-Loup Guary in 1977. The discotheque, in particular, was a great success and very popular with people in the region until it closed in 1986.
In 2003, Jean-Loup Guary sold the château to a group of investors. A rose labyrinth park was added, and a 2nd cottage, now known as Ginkô was built. Aside from these two additions, no significant work was advanced during this period.
In mid-2018, the Château de Saint Dau was bought by Jean Wagner, a Luxembourgian who fell in love with the château and saw its potential to be brought back to its former glory. The Ginkô cottage has been renovated and completely refurbished, and the Jade cottage has had its interiors completely renovated as well as also being refurbished. The château’s interiors, from the ground to the 4th floor are currently being renovated. Once again, the grange annex is in the process of being transformed, this time as a private jazz bar and lounge and intimate concert space.